What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry refers to the range of dental treatments which restore or improve the appearance of a person’s teeth, gums, bite or smile. Many dental treatments fall into this category, including:
- dental veneers
- tooth-coloured fillings
- teeth whitening
- facial injectables
When can cosmetic dentistry help?
These treatments can assist any person wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth and gums and also their dental hygiene. They can help with:
- discoloured or stained teeth
- chipped or misshapen teeth
- crooked teeth
- teeth with unsightly gaps between them
- improving your whole smile
What are the benefits?
The main benefit of cosmetic dentistry is the creation or restoration of an aesthetically pleasing smile.
Additionally, there are other social and health benefits associated with cosmetic dentistry, including:
- an improved psychological outlook and higher self-esteem.
- the reversal of dental problems that were previously a source of embarrassment.
- better oral health because straight teeth are easier to clean and decay is easier to spot on white teeth.
- avoiding the need for more costly dental treatments in the future.
- additional strength and protection against decay.
Dental veneers are wafer-thin shells made from either porcelain or a resin composite. They bond to the front surfaces of teeth to improve the tooth shape, colour, size and alignment.
Dental veneers can assist in creating a straight, symmetrical, white smile. They can be an ideal solution for people wanting to improve the appearance of:
- discoloured teeth due to root canal treatment.
- stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride or the presence of large resin fillings.
- worn down, chipped or broken teeth.
- misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped teeth.
- teeth with unsightly gaps between them.
Dental veneers look like your own tooth enamel to create a natural looking smile. They are made from a biocompatible material that gum tissue usually tolerates well and you can clean them in the same way as your own teeth. Properly maintained, they will last you for many years.
Take home teeth whitening
At our practice, we offer take-home teeth whitening. This is a non-invasive way of lifting stains from the teeth and lightening the colour of the enamel, giving you the appearance of whiter, brighter teeth.
We create a customised mouth tray to which you add the whitening product. You take home the mouth tray with the whitening product and use it for a few minutes a day over a period of up to fourteen days.
There are several advantages associated with take-home whitening treatments:
- you have control over the shade of white that is achieved.
- custom-fitted mouth trays ensure maximum contact between the whitening product and the teeth.
- the trays also minimise contact of the whitening gel with the gum tissue.
- the cost is more affordable than many other whitening methods
The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability for take-home teeth whitening.
Cosmetic dentistry considerations
Cosmetic dentistry can change your appearance and change your life. However, not all cosmetic dental treatments are appropriate for every person. Importantly, the state of a person’s oral health determines their suitability for cosmetic dentistry. The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability for cosmetic dentistry.